The 2020 competition will take place from 3rd and 4th April 2020 at the Sodwana Hengel Klub on Jozini Dam. Participation is limited and is at the discretion of the organiser.
Entry Fee and Deadline
The cut-off date for registration and payment will be 27th January 2020 and will be strictly enforced.
How to Enter and Pay
If you’d like to register manually then please click here to download the Let it Swim TFT Indemnity form
Please use the following details when depositing your R2250 competition fee:
Bank: Standard Bank | Account: C.B. Digges | Branch Code: 045626 | Acc. No.: 051896338 | Reference: “your name + TFT2020”
Please send your completed indemnity/registration form and proof of payment with the heading “TFT 2020” to: email@example.com
N.B. Numbers are limited, at the discretion of the organizer, and will be done on a first come first serve basis. There will be no exceptions unless agreed upon by the organiser. Entries or refunds after 27th January 2020 will not be considered.
Registration and payment for the Let it Swim Tiger Fishing Tournament, by each angler or his/her proxy, will exonerate the organiser of the LISTFT, sponsors and Ezemvelo KZN Widlife of any loss, damage or injury to his/her person or property for the duration of the event.
- Bring all your own camping equipment and fishing tackle.
- It is the responsibility of crew members to compensate their skippers for fuel, bait, etc.
- There will be a bar facility available to cater for boat crew beverage and ice requirements. (A large block of ice per boat will be provided daily on presentation of a coupon.)
- Malaria and tick bite precautions are advised.
“It must be noted that the EKZNW Golela campsite has closed indefinitely with no indication if or when it will re-open.”
If you have any questions please contact the organiser.
Many thanks for your understanding and compliance.
The Rules and Regulations will remain the same for 2018.
The Following Standard Rules Apply
- Fishing Hours – 06h00 to 17h00 on Friday 12th and 06h00 to 16h00 on Saturday 13th
- No line weight restriction
- Each angler will receive a unique number which is automatically generated upon registration on the Let it Swim TFT website. This number will remain yours for all future competitions.
- Minimum qualifying length 500mm (V of tail to tip of closed mouth) for which a digital image (cell phone) against the official template will be required. (Except for fish caught on fly where there will be no minimum qualifying length)
- The scoring system will work by means of adding your catch via the LetItSwim app (available in the iOS app and Google Play stores), which will automatically begin the validation process of the angler’s catch. It will therefore be necessary for each boat to have a smart phone on board which has email capabilities.
- Catches can be recorded as follows:
- Click on ‘Add Catch’
- Click on ‘New Photo’ to open camera
- Take photo of the fish on the template – in the same side and direction as the image on the template
- Select and click on the anglers name from the list
- Select and click on the fish type
- Scroll up before selecting the fish length from the slider
- Ensure length is correct before clicking ‘Submit Catch’
- Click ‘Submit Catch’
- Once the fish has been adequately revived and released the catch must then be recorded on the supplied catch register for validation purposes.
- Once submitted, the following notification sequence will appear in your ‘Catch Log’:
- Red Square – the catch is in the process of being sent through to the server
- Orange Square – Catch has been logged on the server and picture is being uploaded
- Green Square – Catch record and picture have been received and are being processed
- Green Square With White Tick – Catch has been verified and accepted by the score-master
- Note: a Red Exclamation indicates the catch has been disqualified.
- NB!!! Catch record submission time will determine the placing of your entry
- In the event that there is a loss of signal, continue with the process as the app will record the information and submit it once signal has been restored.
- CATCH AND RELEASE – Any tiger fish wilfully brought back and dead will result in the disqualification of that boat and crew. (The organisers understand that there may well be the odd mortality; however these need to be kept to an absolute minimum.)
- There will be a Biggest Barbel prize for one that measures the widest between its ‘whiskers’ against the official template.
- Skippers and respective crews will be responsible for the behaviour of their team mates/members.
- As the event is one based on trust, any disregard for the rules and/or regulations need to be reported to the organiser by any person witnessing the transgression/s on the day it occurs. In the unfortunate event that an incident of this nature arises, it shall be treated as deemed fit at the time and will remain confidential between the parties concerned.
- LIVE BAIT – Please note that Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife are actively discouraging the use of all live-bait brought in from areas outside of the Pongola River and Dam systems. There is no problems with the bait in the Dam but this has to have been caught within the aforementioned systems.
Measuring and Recording Process
- The fish (min 500mm) needs to be laid flat with the V of the tail corresponding with the point on the official template.
- The fish must lie in the same direction (L to R) as depicted in the graphics on the template.
- In the event of a Tiger on Fly, the rod and fly are to be presented on the template (see figure below)
- The boat number disc must be placed on the fish and clearly visible in the photograph. (see figure below)
- No boat disc will mean no catch validation
- Open the LetItSwim app to record the catch:
- Click ‘Add Catch’
- Take photo
- Select angler, fish type & length
- Click ‘Submit Catch’
- Fish to be released in the shortest possible time ensuring that all measures are taken to revive the fish if this is necessary.
All Tiger fish, of 400mm – 499mm in size, caught and landed must also be recorded on the official score-card provided.
- The fish needs to be placed, as depicted, on the reverse (turn template 180°) of the official template.
- Whiskers are to be fully extended with the boat number disc placed on the fish and clearly visible in the photograph. (See Figure 3)
- Open the LetItSwim app to record the catch:
- Click ‘Add Catch’
- Take photo
- Select angler, fish type & length
- Click ‘Submit Catch’
N.B. Please note that images sent must be in focus and validation and acceptance will be at the sole discretion of the Score-master. Any perceived attempts to alter or ‘doctor’ any image will result in the immediate disqualification of the crew/boat from the event and all future Let it Swim tournaments.
Prizes – Angling
- Longest Tiger Fish (Individual)
- Longest Tiger Fish on Fly
- Tiger Fish in descending order of length and time caught down to 10th place (Individual) or at the discretion of the organiser
- Most Tiger Fish of 500mm + caught and recorded – Team
- Most Tiger Fish of 500mm + caught and recorded – Individual
- Longest Tiger Fish – Printing Industry
- Longest Qualifying Tiger Fish – Juniors
- Longest Qualifying Tiger Fish – Ladies
Prizes – Other
- Biggest Barbel
- Lucky Draw – Angler
- Lucky Draw – Skipper
2020 will again see the event becoming more of a trophy based tournament and less of one determined by prizes. This move is intended to maintain the sportsmanship aspect of Let it Swim and to ensure that those anglers that register are there for the enjoyment, honour, trust and camaraderie of the tournament and that prizes given are seen as a ‘bonus’.
Prize allocations will be done at the discretion of the organiser and will be dependent upon what is received from the sponsors at the time.
How to get there
- Exiting JHB on the N17 from the south, head to Bethal
- Exiting from the N12 via Witbank, pass through the Middelburg toll gate and take the R35 off-ramp towards Bethal.
- From Bethal, travel to Ermelo, to Piet Retief and onto Pongola.
- From Pongola, travel for 27kms and turn left off the N2 highway towards the Golela/Swaziland border post.
- Travel for approximately 9.5kms until you get to a bottle/trading store on the left. Turn right towards Ezemvelo Pongola Game Reserve and proceed to the Sodwana Hengel Klub gate. Buzz for entry if the gate is locked and proceed into the Sodwana Hengel Klub site – check in at the office.
Alternative route from JHB:
- A longer but quieter route would be to take the N12 which joins the N4 past Middelburg until the 2 highways join, then exit on the R33 to Carolina.
- Proceed on to Amsterdam and then Piet Retief following the R33 signs.
- From Piet Retief follow the directions above.
- Take the N4 past Witbank. Turn off at the Hendrina/Middelburg turnoff. Drive through Hendrina to Ermelo.
- At Ermelo take the road to Piet Retief. Continue through Piet Retief and Pongola along the N2.
- Take the N2 north. Continue past Tongaat, Stanger, Mtunzini, Richards Bay, Mtubatuba, Hluhluwe and Mkuze.
- Turn off the N2 at Golela Border Post Signboard.
Catch And Release Policy
The competition follows a strict Catch-and-Release policy. Any tiger fish willfully brought back and dead will result in the disqualification of that boat and crew. (The organisers understand that there may well be mortalities; however these need to be kept to an absolute minimum.)
Feedback From Past Participants
Just a short note of thanks and appreciation for a fantastic fishing comp you and your team managed at Jozini this past weekend. An excellent job, well done.
I have fished a few comps in the past (still trying to win my first!) but I must commend you on the best comp I have evert participated in. The only thing that I have to complain about is the fact that I did not catch a fish longer than 695mm……..but then I suppose that is what next year’s comp is for? Winning the comp must be awesome, but for me, just being part of a group of anglers who all support the same philosophy of catch and release, being in a group of friendly guys, where everyone is prepared to go out of their way to help (never seen so many guys wanting to help the wife and I launch our boat ), where fellow anglers respect each other and where we all share the same passion and respect for the Tigerfish was just awesome.
The good Lord willing………we will be back next year to try again.
Once again, congratulations on a splendid comp. – Derek Cooper, April 2019
Thanks to you Chris!!!!, I am definitely coming next year again , best run competion in the land !!!! – Werner Lang, April 2019
We were lucky enough to meet you at the launch site in 2018. After a brief chat and getting some detail on the Letitswim event which you informed me about we decided to test the comp which was held on the 12th and 13th April 2019.
I would just like to say a very big thanks to you and your support team and all the sponsors as this was truly a great competition, from the time we arrived until we departed everyone was friendly and willing to assist or at least provide some advice as to how things worked at this event. I must also say that you really went out of your way to keep us informed and updated which was great as first timers to the Letitswim tiger comp.
The catch, measure , photograph and release rule was also fantastic and believe this is the future and should be practiced in all competitions.
We looking forward to 2020 and beyond… Tight lines – Shayne Pringle & Team lucky fish, April 2019
Just a short note from me and my crew to thank you for a superbly run competition. We all had a marvelous time even though we did not record too many fish, Jimmy’s being the highlight with you witnessing it on camera. This comp will go down in the Let it Swim history books for the huge first prize and the number of fish caught on fly which was definitely due to the brilliant weather.
Once again well done and I am certain that you will enjoy a short rest before starting all over again organizing the next comp.
Will pop in to hear all the side stories and have a cup of your famous coffee. – John Turner, April 2019
Hi Chris, thanks again for a brilliant weekend as always very well planned and excecuted.
Thank you Chris for another great and well organized TFT it was great to have been part, to the Unreal team thank you for a great time together. – Morne Launspach, April 2019
Chris thank you so much for another fantastically run TFT. I know the girls had an absolute ball as well. Your efforts are really appreciated. Thank you too for my printers prize. – Mike Bohnen, April 2019
Hi Chris thanks again for host this great event. You a star. Hope to see you again soon. – Andries Loots, April 2019
Howzit. Back at home. Shot for the stats. Also big thanks for another great compo. Catch up soon – Ricky Lazenby, April 2019
Thanks for a fantastic comp. – Deon Swanepoel, April 2019
Thanks again for a brilliant weekend, always very special with you guys. – Tom ‘Tickbite’ Thomas, April 2019
Thank you Chris for another great and well organized TFT it was great to have been part, to the Unreal team thank you for a great time together. – Mike van der Westhuizen, April 2019
Just a short note to thank you for the absolutely fantastic event. We had an absolute blast, and will be back next year without a doubt!! The organising was unbelievable, and the food catering was more than we ever expected, it was really excellent. So, to you and your organising team: A BIG THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!! – Hans
Hi Chris, hope you have had time to sit back, relax and get you life back into order. Once again on behalf of the four Pot Bellies thank you so much for everything. We all had such a great time on our first Tiger trip which would not have been possible without all your hard work. Book us down for next year – Andrew
Hi Chris, Just a short note to express my appreciation for all your efforts in organising a great event that is a privilege to attend. I really think that the electronic submission of catch results worked well (for those that adhered to the instructions) and certainly prevented any distasteful attempts at subverting the results. The catering was good. The weather……………………………, but there is some things we cannot control and although we were wet and cold at times I do not believe it detracted from the enjoyment and camaraderie that I observed amongst the participants. I realise that there were others involved in assisting you, please pass my thanks and appreciation on to them although I do still believe that this competition would not be the same without your presence, drive, enthusiasm and dedication. Many thanks, looking forward to 2014. Take care. – Gavin
Elke jaar word die geleentheid wat jy vir ons hengelaars aanbied net beter en beter. Jy sal nie glo nie maar ek sien alreeds uit na die volgende jaar (2014) se Letitswimtft. En wees verseker- ek gaan alles in my vermoë doen om daar te wees. Hierdie keer gaan ek net ‘n bietjie “pre-fish” om te sien waar die groot tiere wegkruip.
En die naam “Letitswim” is so gepas. Die manier hoe die stelsel ontwerp is om die vis ‘n so min as moontlik skade te doen is ‘n wenresep. Jy kan trots wees op hoe dit gedoen word. Dis my wens dat ander “tournament organisers” wil hieruit leer.
Jy verdien eintlik ‘n baie meer as net ‘n dankie vir ‘n besonderse “tournament”. Ek was al op ander geleenthede en kompetisies uit maar hierdie een is staan kop en skouers uit bo die res. Ek glo jy is nou moeg van al die harde werk en “stress” maar dis tyd om te “re-charge” vir die volgende een.
Ja – dit het gereën. “So what”. Gelukkig weet ons – die weer kan ons nie voorspel nie. Dis een element wat ons maar net aanvaar.
En dit gaan nie net oor die vis of die dag van die kompetisie nie. ‘n Groot tier is wel ‘n bonus maar dit gaan oor die afwagting, die beplanning en voorbereiding, die samesyn met goeie vriende, ‘n vriendegroep wat dit aangenaam maak, ‘n kampvuur en die “memories”.
Nie almal besef hoeveel so ‘n weg naweek vir jou beteken nie. Saterdag middag vra ek my vrou of sy al die naweek aan haar werk gedink het. Ek kry net ‘n glimlag terug wat die teendeel vertel. Dis harde werk op die boot, maar dit is sielskos.
Nou kan ons droom van die grotes wat weg gekom het – maar daar is altyd “next time”.
Ons is so bevoorreg om te kon deel aan ‘n besonderse en unieke geleentheid.
Ek kan nie wag om die 2013 update op die Gallery te sien nie.
Weereens dankie aan almal wat so hard gewerk het om hierdie jaar sukses te maak – Louis en Anna-Marie